Inishowen Trails Guide
If you are interested in walking the Wild Atlantic Way Donegal, Inishowen boasts some of the most dramatic scenery anywhere in the country. Taking to the hills, mountains and beaches or doing a gentler looped walk is an ideal way to get closer to nature and wildlife and to learn about our history. As you explore Inishowen’s spectacular trails along the Wild Atlantic Way Donegal, you’ll discover one of Ireland’s most beautiful scenic regions for walking. Immerse yourself in the vibrant culture and inspiring heritage.For such a small land mass, Inishowen has an amazing variety of landscape types forged by the differing geology that characterises the Peninsula. The walking trails have been designed to cater for walkers of all ages, and are planned so that, anyone should be able to walk any of them, at their own pace. Come and enjoy the Inishowen 100 and Wild Atlantic Way Donegal on foot.
Ballyliffin Coastal Walkway – The local Development Group is constructing a purpose-built walkway from Pollan Beach to Carrickabrahy Castle in the Isle of Doagh. With the towering Donegal mountains on one side to the always-impressive North Atlantic Ocean on the other this is a great way to get the heart pumping and see our beautiful coastline and enjoy the wilds of The Wild Atlantic Way.
For comfort and safety, and to enable you to enjoy your walk on a trail fully, the following recommendations should be adopted:
- Wear sturdy and comfortable shoes that give your ankles support and that also keep your feet dry, for at least most of the day.
- Carry a rucksack with waterproof gear in case of rain, and additional warm clothing in case of cold. It is also important to carry adequate water and an energy giving snack or picnic.
- Study a map and/or a guide when you are planning to walk the route, and bring them with you.
- Never walk alone in isolated areas, and always let someone know where you are going and when you should be expected back.
- Always show respect for the countryside and for the people who live and work in it, and follow the principles of Leave No Trace.